California Workers' Comp Insurance
We’re your workers' comp insurance advisers
Keeping your employees safe at work is important to most business owners. But when a worker does suffer an injury, Workers’ Compensation (AKA workers’ comp) coverage provides your employees with the protection they need and provides you with peace of mind that they’ll be covered…
It’s the law, but…
Workers’ comp insurance is often mandatory for many businesses if they have employees, no matter what the job requires. It covers medical costs and a portion of lost wages for employees who become injured or ill on the job. Workers’ comp is like an airbag for your business: when trouble strikes, it deploys to help your employee get back to work as fast as possible, minimizing the damage to your business.
If that sounds like a luxury to you, keep in mind that it’s probably a good thing for your business. Imagine having to pay for a slip-and-fall accident or a case of carpal tunnel syndrome straight out of your business checking account.
Workers’ Comp Insurance is a good thing for you, and your employees.
Workers’ comp insurance may also protect you from being sued by employees for workplace conditions if a court finds your company liable in causing an injury or illness to your employees.
What if an incident is caused by employee carelessness?
Under normal circumstances, fault does not matter in a workers’ comp claim. And each state has its own workers’ comp system, which is a mandated program to compensate employees who are injured in a workplace accident or rendered ill because of the job. It’s designed to ensure payment by employers for some part of the cost of injuries, or in some cases, of occupational diseases, received by employees in the course of their work.
Workers’ Comp Insurance Basics
Since workers’ comp insurance typically only covers injuries or illnesses when they occur as a result of duties performed on the job or while at work, the scope of the coverage of the policy is limited to duties performed by employees. Injuries that may be covered by workers’ comp insurance include lifting heavy equipment, slipping on a wet or oily surface, or sustaining injury due to fires or explosions.
Workers’ Comp Insurance may cover:
- Medical bills for employees hurt or sickened at work.
- Ongoing care, including rehabilitation.
- Wages missed while recovering (often partial).
- Employee lawsuits over injuries (through Employer’s Liability Insurance).
- Funeral expenses, if an employee is killed on the job.
- Death benefits to support the deceased’s family.
Workers’ Comp Insurance does not cover:
- Third-party lawsuits.
- Lawsuits over professional errors.
- Wages for a replacement worker.
- Parental leave benefits.
- OSHA penalties.
Worried about the cost of Workers’ Comp?
Based in Southeast Los Angeles (Long Beach), SCM specializes in covering local businesses like yours. We have everything you need right here, including:
- Pay-as-you-Go our companies interface with your payroll software which helps offset large premium audits at the end of the year
- Monthly payment options to help spread out your payments so you can better manage your cash flow
- Coverage of temporary staff, full-time employees, and independent contractors
- Claims responsiveness when time is of the essence, especially in the event of an insurance claim
- Tailored coverage for the specific risks of your field and industry
- Knowledgeable agents who provide exceptional, passionate service
- Coverage for contracts satisfying most standard contract insurance requirements
- Fast and simple online quotes, or helpful agents, immediate coverage
The SCM Difference
You may think you want the cheapest insurance you can find, but realize you may not be getting everything you bargained for. While most insurance products are similar in price and function, insurance providers are very different when it comes to structuring a policy that actually covers you.
There’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all insurance policy when it comes to your business.
We’re your workers’ comp insurance advisers. We protect businesses we know and care about in California, and that means we always look for ways to protect you better, including carefully choosing the insurance companies we represent to be both affordable and responsive.
Learn more today by watching our webinar, or simply complete the form here. Let the professionals at SCM help you forge the strongest shield possible to help you protect the things you care about most.